IBS Application for Psalms 91:14-16

"Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation."

It is a refreshing and life-giving thing to know that God is on our side like this. Honestly, I’ve been struggling lately with knowing whether or not God speaks to me through Scripture like this. But today, He showed me that He does, and this particular passage took on an entirely new meaning for me.

To hear that the Father cares like this for me, after being delivered from a struggle such as the one I’ve been facing this week is just further confirmation of His work in my life. He has shown me through my studies before that He desires to show me more of His grace and His love, so that I can know Him better than I do now, and this is one such way. I’ve been wondering whether or not I would ever see deliverance from the doubt and the attacks I’ve been facing, and I saw it played out today. God will indeed answer us when we call, protect us for knowing Him, and be with us in our trouble.

It was a great comfort to see that all the things I’ve heard from Him about this pat while, in particular that He is present with us in our struggles. This is of course one of the many things that we are all taught, even at an early age, as I was taught as well; however, in the midst of such a storm as the one I was in, in is difficult to know in your heart whether you’ll ever actually be brought through it or not. You have two choices when the promises of God stop feeling real: Either you give up and go on in despair, or you continue to walk forward in faith, even when it makes no sense to do so. By His grace, I did the latter and was delivered from the darkness that sought to devour me.

Beyond all of this, though, I find the last part of the passage to be a particularly great comfort, that makes all of the hardship worth it. I get to see my Father take up for me when the enemy tries to destroy me. My Dad loves me so much that He keeps me safe from those who seek my destruction, and He prolongs my life eternally by the salvation He’s purchased for me. All because He knows me, and I know Him. All because He loves me, and I love Him. His love for me is boundless, and my love for Him grows more and more each passing day. And by His grace, I get to see Him come to my defense like He did today, with the blessed reassurance of His presence in my life.


My application for this will be to spend some time praising God tomorrow morning for His faithfulness and His love for me, and for delivering me from my doubt today in a mighty way. I will also write a rumination/Psalm about His faithfulness and His deliverance, so that I won’t forget what He’s done for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog