IBS Application for Luke 12:37-40

“Blessed are those servants whom the Master finds awake when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at table, and he will come and serve them. If he comes in the second watch, or in the third, and finds them awake, blessed are those servants! But know this, that if the master of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have left his house to be broken into. You also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”

This passage should light a fire under every Believer to start doing more for Christ. We’ve been given a commission to be witnesses for Christ, and it is in this task that we serve our Master. But we don’t know when He’s coming back. Though we’re told to watch for the things He predicted would happen before He comes back, we still don’t know when He’s coming back exactly.

I find that most people who are likely called to do more for God in the realm of ministry while our Master is gone say that they’ll do what they’ve been called to do later on in life, then they never do it. They say that they’re busy with where they’re at in life, or deny that they have a call to whatever part of ministry God’s calling them to. I know the excuses, because I spent almost five years living in this sort of denial myself before coming to Potter’s Field for Ignite. But we miss out on the good life when we live in denial like this.

God’s called us to something higher than what we get caught up in when we live in the world, and it’s glorious. Not only is it glorious, but we’re told here that Christ intends to reward that sort of faithful service. We store up treasures in heaven when we live for Him in the ways He calls us to serve Him.

We do Christ a disservice when we deny the commission He’s placed upon us. He expects us to stay awake and alert while He’s gone. There’s even a warning just a few verses later to those who know what they’re supposed to do, but don’t do it. There are other similar warnings elsewhere in Scripture against willful denial of what God has commanded of us.


We need to have the correct view of service, that the work doesn’t stop, even if we get weary, and that the work has already begun, so those who aren’t working yet need to start. My application for this IBS will be two-sided: I will pray for the next week that I will be given the strength and endurance to persist in the task set before me by the Lord to go to Guatemala to minister and witness there, and that I would not grow weary of the work. God has also put a number of people I was close to back home on my heart lately, because they’re living in denial of what God has called them to do. I’m concerned for their souls, and I want to see them reach their potential in living for God. So, I will also be praying that God would break into their lives in a new way, and start to change their hearts to want to do more for God, alongside the first part of my application for the next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog