IBS Application for Romans 6:16

“Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?”

This is one of the times in Scripture in which an ultimatum was delivered unto the audience. In this case, it is fairly straightforward: You are either a slave to sin or a slave to Christ. There is no middle ground here.

More specifically, Paul is saying here that being a slave to Christ means living a life of obedience to God. And as we saw in yesterday’s IBS on Acts 5:29, the price of obedience can be great. Peter and the other apostles got persecuted repeatedly and received a beating in that section of Scripture alone. But they bore this burden gladly.

By contrast, we have another example in Acts 12 of one who was a slave to sin and was lead to death because of it. Herod the king was struck down by the Lord for his arrogance and his refusal to give glory to God. The contrast here is that the apostles, who were slaves to Christ, faced persecution, but ultimately were made righteous by their obedience, whereas Herod stayed a slave to his own sin and was killed for it.

Scripture paints a pretty clear picture as to what happens when a person chooses either obedience or sin. This isn’t to say that a violent death like the one experienced by Herod is going to happen to every person who chooses sin, and it doesn’t mean that  a Believer isn’t going to have an easy time in their ministry, either. The difference is that obedience to Christ grants you the righteousness of Christ and that slavery to sin won’t keep you safe from eternal death.

The more immediate and important thing to note about this passage, though, is that I find it encouraging, particularly within the context of the past couple of days. Pastor Mike reminded us that those who’ve been freed in Christ are forever free from the bondage of sin, even when it doesn’t feel like we’re free. I struggle with feeling bound to my past at times, but if Paul and Pastor Mike are right, then I am free and anything else is a lie from the enemy.

I’ve been more obedient to Christ during my time here than I’ve ever been before. I’ve noticed the change, but I’ve also been more aware of when I stumble. But I’m not a slave to sin anymore. I’m a bond servant of Christ. Nothing can change that.


For my application, I’ll write “Free in Christ” on my hand to remind myself throughout the next week that I no longer live in the condemnation of sin, but in the freedom and righteousness of Christ. I’ll also pray for mental protection throughout the week in the hope that I don’t fall victim to the enemy as he seeks to make me question my freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog