IBS Application for Philippians 4:11

“Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content.”

Paul’s walk with Christ is inspiring to me. I know that I will probably never achieve the level of trust he had in Christ’s ability to provide for him, but I still think that it’s something to aspire to.

In this verse and the section it belongs to, he demonstrates a confidence in Christ’s provision to the Philippians. He starts the section by rejoicing at the fact that they all have experienced some degree of concern for his situation, despite their inability to help him. But, as he states in this verse and later on, he needs no help beyond that which Christ grants him.

His contentment in this situation comes from the fact that he’s been in many tense and worrisome scenarios, but has discovered the “secret” to being content despite whatever evil may come. It comes through strength in Christ, who enables Paul to be able to endure any pain or trial.

The message here seems fairly clear to me, considering that most Scripture in this context is still applicable to us in this day and age. Contentment through the strength that we receive in Christ is just as much a possibility for us as it was for Paul. Why would we settle for less than such contentment?


For my application, I will reread this verse and the associated section as part of my morning devotion and prayer time for the next week, to remind myself that I can be content through the strength of Christ alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog