IBS Application for 1 Timothy 6:6-8

“But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.”

When I first took a look at this verse in context with the rest of the section, I didn’t find it particularly relevant to me. It’s not that I haven’t had instances in which I’ve thought to use God and the Word for selfish gain; I’ve fallen into that trap before. But that hasn’t been a big struggle for me. Or so I thought.

As I sat pondering this passage, God slowly began to reveal to me in my heart that I do struggle with contentment. He showed me that I do try to use the godliness He’s built me up with for gain, but not in the manner that Paul is talking about here. And in a different way, it is still selfish.

I found out that in trying to do things on my own, I try to use what aspects of godliness I’ve been granted to accomplish what I’ve set out to do. Or at least, I attempt to. But the fault isn’t in the attempt itself; it’s in believing that what I’ve been given is sufficient in itself, and I do not seek help from God for what strength would actually be sufficient. In the end, I often fail to realize that I’m ultimately relying upon my own strength and that I selfishly believe that I’m the one that has to do things right; I take my eyes off God in these times, and focus on me and what I’m doing. I take pride from the idea that I can accomplish something on my own without aid from anyone else. I don’t know if that makes sense, but that’s as clear as I can make it.

Ultimately, I often fail to be content with the fact that Christ is sufficient while I never can be. It’s a truth that the enemy twists in my mind to not be an encouragement, but a harsh reality that makes me feel like I’m a disappointment. But it isn’t my reality. That isn’t what God says about me.

My insufficiency is sufficient for Him; not because I’m incapable, but because it means that He can grow me and shape me into the vessel He wants me to be. I’m clay in His hands, with room to grow and be shaped because I’m insufficient. That’s enough for God, so it should be enough for me. And ultimately, I will have gained more in the end in living by this truth.


For this IBS application, I’ll spend some time at the start of each day this week praying that God would remind me throughout each day to fix my eyes on Him and not fall into the trap of believing that I can or should do things on my own strength. I’ll also re-read this passage and the section it belongs in each day this week as well, to remind myself that true contentment comes from laying down self and taking up godliness continually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog